My live sound engineering knowledge comes from on-the-job experience.
I am the sound engineer at Gigwise, the UK’s leading independent online music magazine. I have recorded and mixed YouTube acoustic sessions by 28 bands from all over the world, going from pre to post production in under five weeks. UK acts include upcoming retro rock and blues band Hidden Charms, Bill Ryder Jones (The Coral) and Vangoffey (Supergrass, Babyshambles, and Realto).
Since 2013, I’ve been the engineer for singer-songwriter Sample Answer (Maurice O’Connor). We moved from residency acoustic gigs in Kentish Town to supporting acts such as The Fratellis, Gabrielle Aplin, Elle King and The Milk.
In 2015, we supported The Fratellis at the 02 Academy Birmingham and King Tut’s in Glasgow, before Maurice headlined at Barfly in Camden. As part of Maurice’s other tours, I have engineered at venues in London, including Village Underground (Shoreditch), Electrowerkz (Angel) and Scala (Kings Cross).
During 2015, I also engineered South End Food Festival in Croydon and ran a major stage at Croydon’s Ambition Festival.
I’ve gained experience as stage tech and assistant engineer at Oval Space, Bethnal Green, from events showcasing bands such as Nicholas Godin of 90’s electronica band Air. I also assisted legendary FOH and monitor engineer Justin Grealy (Joe Strummer, Pulp and Franz Ferdinand).
- Liaise with bands/management on tech requirements
- Set stage with equipment/instruments to specification, minimising H&S risks
- Accurately place microphones on all instrumentation, eg drum kits to avoid phase cancellation
- Organise routing of XLR’s and Multicore/stage boxes to desk
- Management of stage during performance and prior planning for quick changeovers
- Quick and efficient set down of stage and equipment
- Running a stage
- Soundcheck and record show on console (written or recall depending on desk)
- Set up monitor mixes
- Mix the gig Front of House
- Experienced on analog and digital consoles
- Managing a team with assistant engineers
- Trained on Soundcraft Vi Performer series desks
POST PRODUCTION SKILLS
- Highly proficient in Logic Pro
- Good working knowledge of ProTools
- Audio editing and cleaning up poor recordings
- Creative mixing of bands/solo artists
- Experienced in projects of any size or number of tracks
- Sound to picture projects
- Efficient workflow and deadline management
Member of PRS for Music. Member of The Musicians Union with full Public Liability Insurance. Member of Soulsound, the audio engineering company supporting engineers in the industry. BTEC Diploma, Sound Engineering and Music Production, Double Distinction, Islington Music Workshop, London, 2013.